home about me our home

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Apartment Living Isn't That Bad!!!

   

P1150205 (800x600)
 
Things are slowing down now, and I think we are finally catching up on our rest after the whirlwind of this last months move.

Apartment living has turned out to be a fairly easy transition. We got right in, and made this place feel as much like home as we could. 

P1150232 (600x800)

I feel very fortunate to have the space that we have here. The apartment is 1200 sq. ft. which is a nice sized apartment as far as I am concerned. It has two bedrooms, each with a walk in closet and it’s own full bath.

P1150215 (800x600)

One of the days when my sweet hubby was back at the old house doing the last minute things that only he could do, I opted to stay here and spruce the place up a bit. 

I think that was the first day I realized that we really DID move, and we were not going back. I know that sounds silly, it even sounds silly as I type it, but when your home has been your home for 37 years, it becomes a part of you.

P1150216 (600x800)

Just this morning I woke up because I thought I heard some familiar sounds that I heard in the mornings at our old home. I woke up a bit confused to where I was, and then when fully awake, I realized I was here, in the apartment.

I am learning lots of lessons about myself, and even about my hubby, who I have been married to for over 44 years.

It is funny how a stressful situation will bring out the best, and the worst in people, kind of like what they say about weddings and funerals.

I will have to say I have seen way more of the BEST than the worst. When I would see the worst in myself, and in him it would because it was the end of the day and we were just exhausted.

P1150233 (800x600)

If I could give only one bit of advice about moving I would tell you to purge, purge, and purge some more along the way before you ever move.

I realized after packing up umpteen, million boxes that I have waaaay to much, and this was after purging a great deal. 

P1150219 (600x800)
(See my new bobbin chair? We ordered it before we even knew we were moving. I am kind of in love with her!)

It also made me realize WHY oh WHY do we tend to think we need so much stuff? It clutters our closets, and cupboards, but most importantly it clutters our lives and minds.

P1150213 (800x600)

When we move in 6 months to the new house I know I will have to purge again, because there is no way all of the stuff we have will fit in our downsized home. 

I am trying to retrain my brain into thinking a new way. If it is not sentimental, or something we will actually be using in our home, then it must go.

P1150208 (800x582)

This new way of thinking is going to be a tough one for me, but it has to be done for the sake of open space, and a free open mind. 

I honestly think I could live with what we have here at the apartment, and probably not miss anything that is in the boxes stored in the storage unit. 

P1150209 (800x600)

So let me leave you with this thought, I highly recommend that when you purge, or clean out your closets, drawers, garage etc, be ruthless with yourself. 

P1150206 (800x600)
Pretend you are moving, and get rid of it if you truly don’t use it, or need it. 

I am not advocating a minimalist lifestyle, but I am advocating an uncluttered home, and mind. Do your kids a favor, get rid of it so they won’t have too someday.

 Closing thought:

Most importantly you CAN make any place a home if you put your heart, and mind into it. Home truly is where your loved ones reside.

 
 

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Kathysue, I can so relate to your suggestions on purging. Having cleared out my Mom's home then my Mother-In -laws over the last few years, it brought to mind that I needed to do a serious purge. My kids don't want any of my stuff & because I like to be in control I wanted to be the one to find a suitable new home for things so I started the purge & I'm happy to see a less cluttered home surrounded only by the objects that have true sentiment to me. I am also very mindful of buying something from Homesense (Canada) or a souvenir from a trip just for the sake of buying another trinket etc. We are celebrating 49 years this week, that's a lot of years of collecting & a lot of purging.


Barb

Debbie said...

Hi Kathysue! Such a great post. We have been in our home for 25 years and I can't imagine how emotional I would be if we were to move. I am a purger by nature....I love giving things I no longer need or use to Salvation Army or Good Will so someone else can make use of it. Moving for us would be a nightmare because of all of my Christmas decorations. :) Hope you have a wonderful day!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your apartment looks warm and cozy. You're so right a house is just a house until you add love and you've certainly done that. Over the course of the last year and half I've certainly learned the art of purging, and I had purged over the course of last 5 years. I've learned "stuff" does not have to set on an organized shelf waiting to be used for another day, another day may never come. fondly ~lynne~

FABBY'S LIVING said...

We live in a 3.013 square feet, (280 m2) Pent-house apartment for almost 20 years. We downsized from a double the size home and we are so happy!
We don't have to worry about gardens or pools, as the condo has both for our use.
It looks great, you've done a lovely job with it, plus yes, we have to reduce, or purge as you say
by just taking the heirlooms and later buying just the right thing for the perfect space or corner of our new home.
I can't wait to see your new house too. Thanks for sharing about it, I enjoyed reading it.
FABBY

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

I think its easier when its just the two of you..our last move was an experience.. we had 3 children, a snake, a cat, and my daughters rats in a two bedroom apartment. We were there for 3 months before our house was finished and we could move in...let me tell ya...I couldn't wait to get into our new home!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

You are so right and over the past few years I have been getting rid of quite a few things but I still have a long way to go. It's hard when so much of what we have acquired has a sentimental aspect to it. But it certainly would be nice to be less encumbered.

La Dolfina said...

Your apt. Looks quite cozy!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Your apartment looks really great- you've made it look elegant and cozy! I can't imagine moving and yes I'd have to purge a lot. We did do a big purge a few years ago with a large garage sale and I felt I'd done a lot then but I know that was just a dent. Glad to see how well you've settled in.

Merlin said...

You are JUST getting started...we, too, moved (lock, stock & barrel) after living in a beautiful Tudor 41 years...44 years of marriage...now, we're in a log cabin. It's really an adjustment...one's attitude is more than half of it! franki

Donnamae said...

Your apartment looks great! I know very well what you just went through with purging. I had to clear out my mom's home, and while her place didn't look cluttered...it was amazing to me, how much stuff she had behind closed doors and drawers! We've lived in our home for 32 years...and I know we've got too much! We have no plans to move...but, we do have plans to purge! I'm enjoying these posts of yours, they give me hope! ;)

Sue said...

So true, and so difficult Kathysue. We have sooo much stuff and I am trying to slowly rid myself of some. It is hard for me, although after cleaning out my parents home and taking 99% to Goodwill, I know I need to help my kids out:-) Thanks for taking us along on your journey. Lessons to be learned for sure.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You have made beautiful home for yourself and your hubby for the "in-between" .... great advice. I really need to take the time and do lots of purging!!

Unknown said...

You are so right, kathysue. When we became empty nesters and moved back into our first home that had been a rental for 15 years I knew I had to purge as I was going from 3500sf to 2000sf. What I have learned is that we really dont need as much stuff as we accumulate so I purged, and purged again once our remodel construction was done and our belongings were moved into the house. And then we purged and totally eliminated two storage units. Hard part is not buying new "stuff" but there seems to be little need or desire when you know you have no place to put it. I know you will be very happy in your new and smaller home because I have had big and I have had small and small is better!